Sunday 2 February 2014

The European Crested Tit

This is the latest subject, no actually another has just been posted the Grey Heron, for the `Paint Colorful Birds For Fun' community on Facebook.




12" x 9" Paper (?)

It struck me I was painting many of the birds on too large a sheet of paper so this one is smaller. As can be seen it allowed my preference for colourful subjects to flourish. After a careful contour drawing I used Pebeo Drawing Gum (masking fluid) on the head, mainly on the area above the eyes. There is also a little in the wing area, in every case just fine lines - no large areas, as well as  the tree trunk. This was applied with a ruling pen, which I find very useful for this type of work.  I know a  number of artists urge caution about the use of masking fluid but it is very useful as long as it isn't overdone.


2 comments:

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Excellent work Peter. Composition and colour are spot on and the marking fluid use is not obvious.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. Your comments as usual are very welcome.