Sunday 9 February 2014

Jaguar

Normally I'd post this in the previous AVA post but as It has created quite a lot of interest, both at the meeting and subsequently when I posted on Facebook, decided to cover it separately in slightly more detail.


As setup at the session. You can see the guide photo on the left.


Roughly half-way through - the danger point where things can go badly wrong.

I decided to try and do something a little more adventurous in subject matter  but consequently difficult. I made a careful contour drawing at home the previous day as I thought I might arrive rather later than actually occurred, due to the hearing aid appointment. Actually I also made another  drawing of a snow leopard. but more on that later.


Studying the drawing and photograph I started with the eye on the right hand side because I thought this would be the difference between success and failure. Get the eyes right and the first real hurdle is overcome. I proceeded to paint the area around the eye, initially with Quinacridone Gold (Daniel Smith PO49), Quinacridone Rust (Graham PO48), Raw Sienna (Pbr7) up to and including the ear. There is Ivory Black around the eye. I added the black spots, Maimeri Ivory Black, more or less as I was going along after most parts were dry. There was some wet in wet but  only a little. I then painted the nose area before proceeding to the left hand side, which was mostly in shade. I did the eye first with the small yellow areas around it then proceeded to paint the shadow with various mixtures of Ultramarine and Burnt Umber plus some Ivory Black. I was careful to try and avoid a `Paynes Grey effect' - where the greys can be really dead and flat looking. I added some more blue and Burnt Umber later wet into wet. I also added similar mixes on the right hand side adjacent to the head. I  added the black spots as I went along but can't remember the exact sequence.



16" x 12" Saunders Waterford High White 140lb (300gsm) not

I should add I used Pebeo Drawing Gum, carefully applied in thin lines with a ruling pen, for the whiskers at the time I completed the drawing and the day after the AVA session a few touches of Galeria Acrylic White. Both the Pebeo and the Galeria need careful handling, get them on your clothes and lookout! Brushes were my Rosemary travel Kolinsky brushes sizes 6 and 10 with the Isabey size 6 for the fine work. There are elements in this painting I've never attempted before and I'm pleased with the result. I should add though that yesterday I started painting the snow leopard, made a complete mess and scrapped it. I shall attempt another today. 



12 comments:

Unknown said...

This one is stunning Peter. Pete is also very impressed. Very striking.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Jan. Messed up the snow leopard though.

Polly Birchall said...

Wow, this is fabulous

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Polly. Glad you liked it.

Oscar Solis said...

Yes! Big Thumbs Up!

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Yes, you win some you lose some Peter. This painting is a definite winner.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Oscar.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. As you say you win some.... After a barren few months things are looking up. After saying that I'll probably fall flat on my face again but such is life - and watercolour painting.(grin)

Yvonne Harry said...

This is a fab painting Peter. I wish I could do half as well.....Stunning

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne coming from you that's a real compliment.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! this is AMAZING!!!! good job, Sir! I love your blog.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks ewaludwi.