Thursday 18 June 2020

HI Folks

Sitting here watching the rain come down, very welcome, I just thought  I'd say hello to all my readers, all two or three of you.😀 The reason I want the water is I help with the  extensive
communal gardens here.  May was both hot and very dry so many plants suffered.



It's a really grim time here in the UK with one of the worst death rates in the World with Covid 19. Unfortunately without getting too deep into politics, I'll just say I've no faith in our current administration to navigate us out of this crisis with the worst damage to the economy yet to really impact, although bad enough at the moment.

Anyway enough of that. I'm painting and / or drawing most days, certainly three to five times a week. I once read that you needed to paint at least three times a week to just stand still and more if you want to improve. Unfortunately at approaching 83 it's rather late in the day after painting in watercolour for just over 20 years. I should be a lot better than I am after this time still Brabazon only achieved recognition in his eighties so all is not lost.

It's  really odd at times. Facebook regularly come up with my posts from years ago. I look at them and think some are better than  current work so has the rot already set in. A few years ago I asked an older friend and fellow artist, sadly deceased, at what age you stopped improving. His comment was that it was more a case of not going backwards. It's a great hobby though and watercolour a fantastic medium. I've already got the paintings organised for the next two  months  and there are some stunners amongst them, many from artists I was previously unaware of. While there is a strong watercolour following in the UK oil has always been the main medium, partly through the snobbery of the art establishment. The British great Edward Wesson had some of his oils accepted by the Royal Academy but none of his watercolours. He was acclaimed elsewhere but a similar problem existed with Edward Seago, although a favourite of the Royal family. There was a programme on Seago a while back and Prince Philip appeared on it. He was asked about this shunning of Seago by the establishment and put it down to 'snobbery'. I laughed at that one considering where the comment came from. The real reason was he was gay and did get into trouble over it, due to the attitude and laws  of the time, but it was covered up. Sad really because Seago was a great painter, better than Wesson in my view.

Finally I noted a while back that realistic and super realistic paintings seemed to be becoming more common. I actually got into a spat on Wetcanvas with one individual about this which turned really nasty - not on my part - and I left. This person even suggested we exchanged  e mail addresses and continued the argument. There is no place in art for this sort of abuse. I asked the late Charles Reid on one of my last workshops with him about this trend. He said he did a lot of judging and had also noticed the move towards super realism. I'm amazed at some of the paintings I find. Not only how they manage to produce such work in  watercolour, but the time it must take to produce them. Charles said a painting should take two to two and a half hours in total. That's my game! Thats it folks. All the very best to you all  in this terrible time and KEEP SAFE.

9 comments:

SilverMom said...

Thanks for posting a personal word, Peter. It is nice to get to know you better, after enjoying both your paintings and those of others from around the world that you showcase here.

I am glad that you are well. I'm also in the "age" high risk group, here in the US (Seattle, WA, the USA original epicenter). We are seeing a slight leveling of cases, but relaxing quarantine will have who-knows-what effects. Our local government is being careful, but nationally...well, you summed it up well: no confidence there.

You inspire me to ratchet up my painting efforts. After all, for us amateur painters, it's more the doing than the product.

Looking forward to your next post.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for your kind comments. I try my best.

Oscar Solis said...

Hi Peter,

I read your blog post with great interest this morning. Very illuminating. In California, we've not had a great time regarding Covid-19, but, with the exception of some scofflaws, everyone tried or tries to follow the rules, the danger being that it it's easy to become relaxed. Of course, with the current administration and NON-leadership this has always been a problem.

I think the popularity of oils may be tied to the fact that it's what "real" artists used in the old days. It's traditional and entrenched. I find it amusing that even in watercolor there is some snobbery. Don't use white because it's not a real watercolor painting then. Who are they that make up these rules or, worse, follow them? As an aside, I find it interesting that Charles Reid made his name internationally with watercolors because his oil paintings are marvelous as well.

Regarding realism in watercolor, I love what an Andrew Wyeth brings to the table. His watercolor work is realistic, yet it also allows you to swim around in it like one would in the paintings of Charles Reid. But it seems to be the case that loose watercolors are ignored because, maybe in the eye of the public, it's easy to splash paint about but damn hard to paint a subject realistically or so they would have you believe. I do find it interesting that many realistic painters start loosening up toward the end of their painting career.

Regarding Wetcanvas. A nice place to visit on occasion but I found a very few to be rather dogmatic in their approach to art (their artists vs student paints arguments being an example). I believe that creativity should not be about hard and fast rules but more in the vein of "who knows? Try it and see what happens".

i look forward to your next paintings.

Peter Ward said...

Ho Oscar
Glad you are okay in this terrible time.
I think the problem with the UK over this oil thing is "tradition'. On many things 'tradition' has a deadening effect. Nothing wrong with it in principle but it is used by many to hang on to the past and slow change. I don't believe in change for changes sake but it happens. The painting scene in many of these emerging countries is against a background of ' no tradition' so anything goes. Artists are not bound hand and foot by it and the painting scene - especially in watercolour - has exploded. I'm amazed at the wonderful artists I keep coming across almost daily. There are thousands of them and watercolour is very big in its own right not derided as a 'sketching medium'.
Artists like John Yardley and Trevor Chamberlain, who paint in oil as well as watercolour, command much higher prices for the oils. Charles Reid also did the same but I'm not aware whether the same thing occurred with his prices.
I intend to continue my 'chats' on the blog each week so will continue with another next week.

As for how people paint its up to them so if they want to be photorealistic good luck to them. There is no question that the general public lean very much towards the photo realism side. I sell very few paintings and I know that some think they are unfinished. The odd thing is some of my artist friends, amongst who are some very good artists, have purchased or asked for paintings from me.I have given a good number away when they expressed interest.

Unknown said...

Totally agree with all your comments polliticay and on Seago Peter
He was different class.
Keep up the good work.

hap said...

Hello Peter, you already know how much I enjoy your work so I needn't natter on about it. I agree with you on photorealism as well; those that like it can have at it, not for me though, if I want a photograph I have cameras enough to do that job. During the lockdown here I have been painting miniature watercolors very simple compositions in postal card sizes. When I need to go "out and about" for shopping mostly, I carry a supply of them in my pocket and hand then out to those essential workers who are keeping us supplied with food and such, as a token of my appreciation that they are staying on the job for the rest of us. I have friends who are always trying to tease me into giving oil or acrylics a try...I tell them that I have about three lifetimes of learning to do in watercolor and less than half a lifetime left to do it! At my age the only rule I feel that applies is "have fun!"...if it stops being fun I'll stop doing it. I learn something everytime I pick up a brush and paint often it's "whoops, I should not have done THAT!" but I'm still learning! Keep doing what you're doing amigo!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Hap. I've taken the same line when my artists friends have suggested trying other mediums. I reply when I've mastered watercolour I might do so. Unfortunately that point is still to be reached.

hap said...

Far from the end of my journey as well my friend! I enjoy learning and watercolors give me challenges aplenty! It certainly has it's inherent limitations, but all in all I think it's the right fit for me! Easy to set up, easy to clean up, and it does not take 3 years to finish one nor for it to dry! Keep slinging paint Peter, I enjoy seeing your work!

Peter Ward said...

That's more or less whay I like about it Hap.