Friday 8 March 2013

Another Bird

I recently did two small paintings of Robins. I rather enjoyed it and inspired by Gerard Hendriks quick, colourful, and impressionistic current series of bird sketches off I went. Mine aren't as loose as Gerards, not deliberately just how they work out. They don't take that long, an hour at most including the drawing (and breaks). I'm not sure what the bird is. It looks like some sort of Finch but not a UK species.


`Pensive' - 24 x 32cm Cold Press Fontenay 140lb.

I first made a careful drawing, paying particular attention to the head. I then started to paint from the bill with Ivory Black (Maimeri). I then moved to the yellow on his head using Indian Yellow (Rowney PY153) and then to the red areas with Quinacridone Deep Gold (Daniel Smith PO48). The green/yellows were Green-Gold (Rowney PY129) and Sap Green (Graham). There is some Cerulean in the shadow area under his breast and a little Burnt Umber. The branches are also Deep Gold, sometimes with a little Burnt Umber.  

Brushes used were all Isabey. The retractable Nos 4 & 6, which are quite small and slim for their respective sizes and the No 6 Kolinsky.which is more like a normal size 6.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good effort Peter. Charming little portrait.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. It's modest but I like it!

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

A very charming painting Peter. Well done. Not sure about the upper left branch, though it blends in very well.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. I more or less followed the guide photograph as
the concentration was on the bird with the rest just window dressing. Possibly I could have used my imagination (such as it is!) a little more.