Wednesday 17 February 2016

Latest Paintings

Although I haven't been painting as much these days I do try to maintain a reasonable rate and the following are recent efforts. I stress they aren't shown as good paintings just mine.


Ready for War - 16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb Not

This particular painting was in response to the most recent AVA subject which was `Rainbow of Colours'. I decided to do another of my Indian portraits but colour it up with a `rainbow of colours'.Does it work? Not sure but I did study a number of artists who paint portraits using a surrealistic array of colours and don't worry about realism or a good likeness. My wife took one look and described it as horrible! It is true though that, when painted for war or even involved in ceremonials, some of the Indian warriors looked pretty ghastly, the idea being to frighten their opponents.He is wearing some sort of cap on his head which seems to incorporate a dead rook. 

The following was started when I finished early and completed it  the following week. I like animal subjects and have a number of studies of Orang-Outans ready for future paintings.


Old Man of the Forest - 16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb not.

I used mostly Transparent Orange (Schminke PO71) and Cerulean with some added Cadmium Red Light.

The following painting was in response to a subject called `Roofs and Chimneys'. 


Roofs & Chimneys - 16" x 12" Centenaire.

Although I wasn't enamoured of the subject in the end I think this works quite well. Limited range of colours, blues, browns and yellows, some greyed down..





4 comments:

hap said...

Sorry to hear you're not getting as much painting time Peter! I have the same problem! Want to paint more not less, but things keep getting in the way. Love the Native American "Ready for War", great choice of colors on that one! Old man of the forest has great eyes!
Good to see your efforts are still top notch!
I'll be doing a workshop with Jean Haines here in Seattle in March, I am SO looking forward to it!
Hap

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Hap. Nice to hear from you. I'll be interested in your response to Jean Haines. I'll keep my thoughts to myself for the moment! Hope you enjoy the workshop and best wishes to you and yours.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

The quantity of your work may be down, Peter, but the quality is high. You are using your colours to the fullest. Great work.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. Follow your work too.