Saturday 6 April 2013

The Bullfinch and the Bee-eaters

I finally finished the Bullfinch painting so here it is.


Male Bullfinch. 16" x 12 Waterford 140lb (300gsm) Not

The black is Ivory Black from Maimeri. Blue is Cerulean and the orange-red is mainly Translucent Orange (Schminke (PO71) with some Qinacridone Rose (Graham PV19) in various dilutions. The berries are Quinacridone Rose in different strengths,. There is some Quinacriodone Gold (DS PO49) in the background. This was a more careful painting than the one that follows. 


Southern Carmine Bee-eaters. Approx 13" x 12" Paper Unknown - just an odd piece I happened to have.

This is this weeks subject at `Paint Colorful Birds for Fun', set up on Facebook by the artist Robin Berry in association with Gerard Hendriks. Fascinating to see the various approaches by different artists particularly  Gerards and Robins contributions. Anyone can join in. On the birds I used Turquoise (Lukas PB16) and Cobalt Teal Blue (Daniel Smith PG50), Quinacridone Coral (DS), Translucent Orange (Schminke PO71), Burnt Umber to darken, some Ivory Black (Maimeri), Quinacridone Gold (Daniel Smith PO49), Raw Umber and some Cerulean. I think that's it! Isabey brushes up to size 8. Gerard paints his versions as small sketches. I tried not to be over fussy and quite quick at 40 - 50 mins. I used two different photographs which is why the birds colouring varies although I did try to `link' them together - if that is the right word. 

8 comments:

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

You really are producing excellent bird paintings Peter. The first has good composition and the bird fits well into the background. In the second, birds are fine but the background does not link them, sorry. Eveyrone seems to have anti-robot proving, are you experiencing a lot of spam?

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. The second painting is a `fun' painting but the background does jar a bit.

Regarding the ani-robot thing. I reached a point where I was getting 150 spam posts a week and rising. Each had to be deleted individually even though nearly all were identified as spam. I don't like the letter and word alternative you have to do but something had to give.

Yvonne Harry said...

This series is comming on really nicely, Peter. I look forward to seeing some more

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne. I like doing them.

Dr Henry Tegner said...

I can only say that I think these are lovely, especially in the context of having been on on the hills of the Vale of Pewsey in Wiltshire this afternoon listening to and watching the skylarks

Unknown said...

Particularly like the first one, great bird and quite lovely work on the berries.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Mick. The Bullfinch is one of my favourite birds.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Henry. Not far from here,I know that area well.