Tuesday 17 July 2012

Back to Painting

Having had a barren last week as far as painting is concerned I needed to get the paint brushes flowing again, so after some little thought decided to attempt a flower painting. This was prompted by two nice plants of Phlox Maculata in the garden that had come into full bloom just as we returned from Devon. I cut two stems, stuck them in a jam jar and off I went.




For the initial drawing I had to restrain myself from making it too detailed as the flower heads are a mass of small blooms. I think I did slightly. I used a mechanical  07 Pentel 120 A3 DX with a 2B lead. I have a mass of drawing instruments but use this one quite frequently. Pentel do a very good range including the 120 series and the Sharplet.


Phlox Maculata - Centenaire 16" x 12" 140lb (300 gm) not

As far as colour was concerned this was fairly restricted, although I admit the shade in the painting is not quite right compared to the actual plant which is more of a lavender pink colour. Colours used were mainly Quinacridone Rose (Graham PV19), Ultramarine Violet (Rowney PV15) plus a little Cobalt Magenta (Rowney PV14) and Certulean Blue. The Greens were various dilutions of Hookers Green (Graham).

Brushes used were the Isabey 6228 Kolinsky Sizes 8 and 6. The whole painting took about 1 1/2 hours with breaks.

16 comments:

Linda Roth said...

This is wonderful Victor. It's so delicate. I love it. (Photographic Tip: if you've got "Quick Fix" in you picture program, one click and your initial drawing would light up and your lines would be visible. My photo program is Jasc. Photo Album. It does black and white quite well). I tell you this for I would have loved to have seen clearly your initial drawing. I know what you mean about keeping that drawing simple.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Linda (it's Peter by the way). I've fixed the drawing so you can see it more clearly.

Daniel Novotny said...

Very nicely combined shapes Peter, good work.
-Daniel

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Daniel.

Keith Tilley said...

Nice work Peter. I like the way you've suggested the mass of flowers without getting too detailed.

Unknown said...

Nice change of subject material and I echo the comments above, good impression out of simple masses gives the viewer space to enjoy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Ward said...

Thanks for commenting Keith. IT worked out more or less the way I wanted which isn't always so.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. I quite like doing flowers/still lifes the Charles Reid way but decided to keep this simple and not include other objects.

Judith Farnworth Art said...

This is a lovely loose impression, not overworked and good to see a chap enjoying doing flowers!!!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for commenting Judith. Actually I quite like painting flowers, usually in association with fruit or other objects.

Laura said...

No sponaneity lost there Peter even if you did start with a drawing. Really fabulous loose work.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Laura. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

Sharon Whitley said...

this is a lovely painting Peter, I like it very much indeed

Sharon Whitley said...

this is a lovely painting Peter, I like it very much indeed

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for your kind words Sharon.