Friday 1 October 2010

A Change of Mood

White Ladies 12" x 12" Waterford Not

Recently I have been agonising, possibly too strong a word, about what to paint. Certainly portraits in the general style of Charles Reid are high on the list but what other subjects? Like many would-be artists I began with landscapes but the attraction of these has dimmed, although not entirely. I do like painting out of doors because there is nothing quite like it and old buildings, particularly those with thatched roofs, hold a strong appeal. 

Still lifes also interest me, again in the manner of Charles Reid, incorporating flowers, fruit, cups, and other objects, sometimes in association with a  portrait. The other day I decided to suspend the portraits, at least for a day or two, and have a shot at flowers with associated fruit. Gathering what flowers remained in the garden I set up a still life and off I went.  The result was so so but my wife didn't care for it and, after reflection, neither did I.  Feeling somewhat depressed I decided to have another try with a different approach. A company called  `Whistlefish'  have opened a gallery in Bath, adding to the already large number. How they will fare remains to be seen but they are an interesting company originating in Cornwall with several newly opened outlets. http://www.whistlefish.com/ . What is the connection? On browsing the Bath shop, and also the one at Looe in Cornwall, I noticed they were selling very attractive self-assembly frames complete with everything including mounts. These come in three frame sizes, small, medium and large, with white my preferred choice. I rather liked the medium size, cost £20, the large, interior 51cm x 34cm, being £25. The interior of the medium is 12" x 12" and it struck me as a good size for flower painting, concentrating on the flowers and omitting the rest. Above is the result. I used pan colours and mine are a mixture of W & N, Schminke, Maimeri and Rembrandt with W & N predominating. I also, almost a first for me, made the drawing and painting standing up at my `Alvaro', as opposed to the  table easel. Brushes were Sizes 9  and 6 Rosemary series 33 Kolinsky, plus a size 4 long handled W & N Cirrus and a small rigger. I rather like the result. What do you think? I invite comments as I do on all my posts.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely work Peter. You've captured the lovely delicacy of your subject with the loose approach and the lovely lost edges.
Interested in your use of the Rosemary kolinsky, having just tried one myself and finding it much more difficult to control that my usual Da Vinci brushes. The problem seemed to emanate from the way the hairs have been set in the ferrule, the outer ones being much shorter and more likely to stand away from the body of the brush.
Project will be up at the start of next week.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick.

As for brushes I have used Rosemary's quite a lot but they are a personal thing. The number 9 series 33 is a lovely brush that points very well.
Would you believe I have brand new Da Vinci Maestro nos 8 and 10 waiting to be christened as well as the SAA set of four or five Kolinskys that are made by Raphael. Also an Escoda 1212 size 10 then.....
The Escoda is a lovely brush and the SAA ones look good. I've been keeping them until my painting is good enough to deserve their use! Will it ever happen?.

Akwarelia said...

Beautiful!

So delicate and ethereal, as watercolours should be. I really like your style. Regards from Poland. :)

Peter Ward said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments Akwarellia. I'm really pleased to have visitors and feedback. Regards to Poland from the UK!

Unknown said...

I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
paint your dog by number

Peter Ward said...

Thanks.

Jacob said...

Great, that is a fantastic piece of information and would love to see more posts from the author, meanwhile I am sharing some more authentic source of elephant paint by numbers to share with you all. Enjoy!