Thursday 24 October 2013

Autumn Still LIfe

This weeks subject at Avon Valley Artists session today was an `Autumn Still Life'. This was more to my taste, and produced an interesting and colourful crop of paintings from the twelve members present. 



This week we had a guest artist, Jan Weeks granddaughter Evie. Actually I gather her name is Angelina but she is known as Evie. Following in her grandma's footsteps.


This was Evie's painting. As many will recall my granddaughter is also called Evie.


Pat Walker


Not sure ???



Again not sure???


John


Clive Brotherton



Jan Weeks


Yvonne Harry (unfinished)





Waterford Rough A3 140lb (300gsm) 

The above two photos are of my effort. The first at a very early stage. Why is it I often prefer the paining when it is half or even less finished? I mostly painted it with an Escoda retractable size 12 Kolinsky sable. Essentially is was some fuchsias and hollyhocks plucked - very hurriedly - from the small courtyard garden of my new home. I only had two apples and decided to paint them as they were, and not add any imaginary ones. I was quite pleased with it but perhaps overdid the colour of the hollyhocks in the centre or slightly off centre. Colours used were Quinacridone Coral, Quinacridone Rose, Sap Green, Green Gold, Moonglow, Quinacridone Gold, Cobalt Teal Blue and Cerulean. I think that's it, a mixture of mainly Daniel Smith. Graham and Rowney.











12 comments:

Laura said...

These are all great Peter. Your Still Life Art Session looked very much like my Group's too this week. Autumn all round. Fab warm colours and lots of interesting things to paint. :-)

Unknown said...

Another interesting bunch of pictures reflecting the vibrancy of your group.

I was interested in your comment about preferring earlier stages of paintings. Whilst your completed picture is enjoyable it doesn't seem as saturated as the first image. Maybe the photography?

Unknown said...

Great to see the picture of Jan and her Granddaughter Evie, I am a great fan of Jan's work and it's good to see Evie following in her footsteps.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Laura. Great subject.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Mick. I think one mistake was to put too much yellow in the background. A much paler shade might have been better. My photography is of the ad hoc variety so I often fail to get a really good representation of the original. At the session I have to take my pics as snapshots.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Brenda. I'm sure Jan will be pleased.

Unknown said...

Evie says she would like to try your "splashy" style next time as she loves the way the paint flows down the page and the bright colours you use. I think you are right a paler background would would make the most of the lovely colours you have used in this painting.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Jan. I hope Evie enjoyed the experience. I think Mick's comment came about because the yellowish background neutralized to some extent the colours in the flowers. They looked better against the white.



Linda Roth said...

A wonderful selection of paintings. The waterwheel blew me away. I think we love just started work because it holds so much promise of things to come.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Linda. Glad you liked them.

Yvonne Harry said...

Like you Peter, I often prefer the half way stage. It is often difficult to know when to stop!. Great bunch of pictures again!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Yvonne. Funny isn't it. Some like paintings completed to the nth degree and super realistic and others like me a more unfinished look. Each to his (or her)own, Room for all.

I do think overworking is the bane of the watercolour painter because the freshness disappears.