Saturday 19 January 2013

Doors, Windows & Gates

 Rustic wall of building on Corfu

This was the subject(s) at last weeks Avon Valley Artists meeting which left considerable scope for interpretation. Members brought there own source material and off we went. Below are the results. 




Apart from my own effort, which I photographed later at home I wasn't able to take any other individual ones, other than the groups above. The reason was that a funeral was  due at 12 noon and the Hall is next to the lane that leads up to the Church. Access is poor and parking around the hall is such a problem, due to some of the locals parking their cars there more or less permanently, that we were warned we might be blocked in for an hour or so, and were obliged to finish in a rush and get out while we could. Fortunately this doesn't happen too regularly.


30 x 40cm Gerstaeker 200gsm Not `Rustic Window'

My guide photograph showed this section from a typical rustic building on Corfu. What I liked about it was the lack of conformity - no straight lines - and the variety of colours. I've exaggerated the colours in the painting.

Colours used were Permanent Rose (Graham PV19), Cadmium Orange (Maimeri PO20), Quinacridone Gold (DS PO49), Quinacridone Burnt Orange (DS PO48), Moonglow (DS PG18, PB29, PR177), Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Teal Blue (DS PG50), Viridian (Rowney PG18), this latter mainly on the wooden shutters, a little Burnt Umber and some Raw Sienna . I think that's it. The following day having decided the overall effect was too pale I added a diluted wash of Raw Umber over the whole painting. You may note the use of Moonglow, a three pigment mix. Normally I avoid multi-pigment paints but in this instance, and a few other Daniel Smith paints I break my rule. After all why be dogmatic? Moonglow is darkish grey with a purplish tinge - a lovely shade with several uses.

Brushes were my Escoda and Isabey retractables sizes 6 to 12. For the overall wash of Raw Umber I used the Rosemary - actually mine is labelled ABS - Kolinsky Mop Size 4. 





9 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting subject that seems to have generated a good bunch of pictures.

Your effort is full of colourful interest and is a real treat on the eye.

Unknown said...

Wow, love this painting Peter.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. Even my wife likes it!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for kind comments Jan

Yvonne Harry said...

Great, Peter. LOve the colours you have used!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Yvonne.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Great effort Peter, the colours really make the picture.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Great effort Peter, the colours really make the picture.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Ray. It was the colours that attracted me to this subject.