Tuesday 22 October 2019

Trying the new Van Gogh range.

I've finally got around to trying the new Van Gogh watercolours. In general I'm quite impressed considering how cheap these paints are. I tried the original 40 colour set some years ago and found them perfectly adequate.




Wild Dog Sketch

The colours are in descending order : Permanent Lemon Yellow,  Azomethine Green (PY129 usually called Green-Gold), Rose, Carmine, Quinacridone Rose, Ultramarine Deep, Pyrrol Orange, Quinacridone Purple Blue, Quinacridone Purple Red, Yellow Ochre, Light Oxide Red, Hookers Green, Sap Green, Dusk Pink, Dusk Green, Gold. 

A few observations and bear in mind this is only my preliminary view. The Lemon Yellow seemed on the weak side as is the Gold. Possibly the Ultramarine is a little weak leading to more pigment being used, so with only a 10ml tube this might be exhausted very quickly. I liked the Pyrrol Orange, both the 'Dusk' colours, Lt Oxide Red, the two greens, the reds, most of them if fact. I think I need to buy a few more colours.Sticking to single pigment paints we have  the choice of Transparent Yellow Medium (PY128), Indian Yellow (PY83), Permanent Blue-Violet (PV23), Prussian Blue (PB27), Phthalo Blue (PB15), RawSienna (PY42), Burnt Sienna (PR101 and Burnt Umber (PBr7). Four or five of these to fill the holes in the original batch I purchased of this brand. If you want  Cerulean and/or Cobalt Blue then you have to go to makes that offer the correct pigments not a 'hue' version combining Ultramarine or Phthalo Blue with white. My suggestion is Lukas, Sennelier or even Jacksons own brand (UK artists). In America there are several excellent housebrands with Cheap Joes particularly favoured.

If price is an issue these paints are an excellent choice for the hobby painter and the once a week artist. Don't be seduced into paying a fortune for the leading artists quality paints, indeed some are now calling theirs 'professional quality' with 'artists quality' a lower level! Yes if price is no object but some artists of my acquaintance aren't in this category.





2 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

I like how you applied the paints. It reminds me I have to be more adventurous with my colors.

How did you enjoy using the paints? Would you use them on a regular basis?

I use them regularly and really love their mixing capabilities (they mix well with other brands as well). I have to say that I was initially put off by the cerulean blue which is very strong and used Cotman's version (which is also a hue), but came around. I also noticed that in the ultramarine there is no granulation. If I want that effect ((which is rare) I have to use Cotman's ultramarine.

I hope more people discover this brand because it really is excellent. It's just an enjoyable paint to use. Because I've noticed that too many amateurs tend to fall for the standard artists quality vs student quality argument (repeated too many times by amateurs I must say) I would argue that these paints can be used for professional purposes, regardless of what they are sold as.

Keep up the good work.

Peter Ward said...

Great to hear from you Oscar. I do agree the results with colour and blending are quite good. . To help this issue filtered water (I'm told distilled is even better but you have to buy it) and add a few drops of OxGall. My impression is that this improves the flow of the paint on the paper. You do need to use decent paper to get the best results. I will certainly use some Van Gogh in-future. My only real reservations are I don't like multi- pigment mixes. Two are not bad but avoid three or four. the other thing is the 10ml tube can be used up fairly quickly. I wish they did a 15 or 20ml as weTl. The new Rembrandt range, which I expect to rival the top ranges, will be in both 10ml and 20ml. If the prices are really keen - not yet known - they will come into the equation for colours (pigments) not avaiable in the Van Gogh.