The subject this week was `Leaves and Berries etc', one of the more interesting subjects given the variety and colour usually available at this time of year.
Once again attendance was low, with only ten members present, several still missing for various reasons. Later during the session Jan Weeks and Jean King called in, although neither painted today.
When Jan arrived she brought a painting she had been working on, using the blob of Quinacridone Purple I'd given her the previous week, and wanted to show me the result. Although her initial reaction had been that she wouldn't be adding it to her palette, she has had a change of heart after realising that it was more useful that first thought. Like Yvonne she had run out of the colour before finishing the painting. I offered her some more but Yvonne, who had received her tube from the SAA this week, had already done so. As they both ran out of the sample I gave them It's making me look mean! Still at £9.90 for a 15ml tube you can't afford to be overgenerous!
Yvonne also brought in another painting incorporating some of the Daniel Smith colours and it is already on her blog with much useful information. www.watercolourflorals.blogspot.com/
Yvonne Harry. This illustration doesn't do it full justice - a lovely painting which is now on her blog. Neither illustration does full justice to the actual paintings.
Yvonne Harry - utilising several Daniel Smith colours - unfinished
Other paintings from yesterday.
Myra Abbot (?)
My effort follows. The material came partially from my garden and the blackberries from just outside the hall.
The initial drawing. The dark spots are masking fluid. They are Pyracantha berries and I also put masking fluid on the blackberries. After the fluid was dry I wet large areas of the paper, which was fairly upright, and put in diluted colour, which I allowed to mix and run.
Leaves & Berries - 16" x 12" Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140lb (300gm) Not
Colours used were Cadmium Orange for the Pyracantha berries, Moonglow (Daniel Smith PG18/PB29/PR177) and Ivory Black for the Blackberries. Sap Green (PO49/PG7), Green Gold (Rowney PY129) and Hookers Green (Graham PG7/PY110)) for the leaves with a little Cobalt Teal Blue (DS PG50) in places. The coloured leaves at the bottom were a mixture of (mainly) Quinacridone Coral (DS PR209), Translucent Orange (Schminke PO71), Quinacridone Magenta (Rowney PV19 ) and Quinacridone Rose (Graham PV19). A word about Moonglow. I don't normally favour multi-pigment mixes and this colour has three. It is rather good though, so I've made an exception and I would add both Yvonne and Jan are fans of it.
A word about the use of masking fluid. I used the Pebeo Drawing Gum applied with a ruling pen. I used it, primarily, on some - not all - of the orange berries and also the blackberries. It takes a while to dry and you need to be careful not to foul brushes with it, especially expensive sables. Really it should be left for an hour or two to dry thoroughly. It is easy to pick some up when you commence painting, particularly as noted if not fully dry.
Brushes used were the Escoda retractables, sizes 6, 8 and 10 plus the Rosemary retractable rigger.