Tuesday 22 December 2015

Happy Xmas and a Prosperous New Year

May I wish all my followers and all others who visit this blog a most Happy Xmas and Prosperous New Year. Given the parlous state of the world with conflict and devastation affecting large parts of mainly poor countries this appears a vain hope but we have to remain optimistic. 


Avon Valley Artists last meeting of 2015 with mulled wine, mince pies and sausage rolls - plus a few other goodies. Not everyone is in the photo, there were 14 of us altogether.



16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb (300gsm)


We altered things slightly this year in that members painted first thing - choosing the subject, apart from our trio of Robert, Yvonne and Jan who organized the refreshments.  This is what I produced in about an hour. I had actually drawn the subject previously so was able to start painting immediately. This took about an hour. Yes, I know I rush things but that`s just me. I have a fear of being too deliberate and losing the spontaneity of watercolour, which to me is the charm. I will take longer but never more than two hours at the most.

Colours used were few. The darks were various dilutions of Ultramarine and Transparent Brown (Schminke -Pbr41)). Diluted Transparent Brown along with Raw Sienna also featured on the face and neck which was the first thing I painted, followed by the hair. When I paint the face I do stray into the hair area rather than have a very abrupt line



.


4 comments:

Judy said...

Happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Judy. Same to you.

Elisabeth said...

I always enjoy reading your posts, your portrait is beautiful and fresh. Wishing you a happy Christmas

Peter Ward said...

Same to you Elisabeth