Monday 21 January 2019

African Wild Dog

Finished this yesterday at stage three. First stage do the drawing, next day initial painting, mainly the face, then finished it yesterday. I watch a lot of wildlife programmes and have seen several on these wild dogs. Fascinating animals much misunderstood.




Afrikan Wild Dog - A3 Moldau 280gsm


I know my paintings are not to everyones taste - actually a small minority it seems judging by the way I get few likes on Watercolour Addicts, while others get hundreds. The only one that did get a lot was my painting of an eye. Still many artists were only recognised after death  - only joking I'm well aware of my limitations. 

As you can see there are lots of strong colour. Raw Sienna, Quinacridone Gold (PO49), Burnt Orange (Daniel Smith PO48), Cerulean Blue, Burnt Umber, with the darks various mixtures of Ultramarine Blue and Transparent Brown (Schmincke PBr41). Slight touches other yellows.




2 comments:

SilverMom said...

Well, I'm not on FB so no chance for me to post my "like" there...but I'll post it here!

"LIKE" the Afrikan Wild Dog, Peter!

The strong color and impressionistic approach worked great, IMO, and I especially respond tot he red-orange eyes.

(I watched the recent TV documentary on the female wild dog who managed to raise two huge litters of pups mostly on her own. It educated me on what an important part of the ecosystem these endangered creatures are.)

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Silvermom.