Thursday 27 February 2020

Latest Paintings

Here are my latest efforts warts and all. I stress I don't put them up as good paintings. Some are experimental. After 20 years I'm still experimenting! Says a lot about my painting. All 16" x 12"






Nubian Woman.



Nubian Woman. Corrected version.

I made the nose too long on the original so had a go at changing it. It can be done in watercolour as long as the colours used are not too staining. as are many of the modern synthetic pigments like the Quinacridones.  I also softened the too prominent outline. I hope readers can benefit from my mistakes, which is the reason for posting these corrections.



The eponymous Chef/Businessman Gordon Ramsey

Moderately Happy with this one, although only moderately. It is flawed.


Kiowa Brave

Hair not right too blue



Raptor

Got the shape wrong. The body is too long. This has already bitten the dust.




Nubian Girl

Although happy with certain parts of the painting I have made the top of her head the wrong shape. It should be slightly lower and more rounded. I may have another shot at this.





Corrected version. Here I reduced the head height and made it more rounded.



Amerindian Warrior

Facial colour not quite right - a bit too red,  although the camera seems to make them worse. I'm reverting to Charles Reids combination of colours (after straying from the path) but haven't quite got them right. To articulate he used basic combinations for facial colours of Cadmium Red, Raw Sienna and Cerulean Blue. He also used Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin crimson and even Green at times, and a few others. 




Metal Objects - This weeks AVA subject. Pretty awful I know but this is a warts- and all blog.



'Herbert" A work in progress.

I am at the point where it could go on to be a decent painting or go completely wrong. I'm baring my soul with these comments.




Another Amerindian - a work in progress.






4 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

Very nice works. I think the Nubian girl works well (of course you have your concerns regarding the head shape). I always like your adventurous take on color o the faces, something I wish I could do.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Oscar. Actually I've managed to at least partially correct the head shape on the Nubiam Girl. I might post the corrected version.

SilverMom said...

Another vote for Nubian Girl. Peoples' skulls are very differently shaped - we tend not to appreciate that since completely bare skulls are less common. When my mother had her head shaved for surgery, it turned out to be a quite unusual shape! (I wish I'd been painting back then. It would have been a great opportunity to capture her Buddhist-nun look.)

Also like the Ramsey portrait. I recognized him before I even saw the caption. Hats off to you for capturing a likeness, something I still haven't achieved in my portraiture.

Re color issues - a favorite artist of mine, Eric Weigart, teaches that color can be anything as long as the values are correct. I think your Amerindian Warrior is very effective.

And Herbert is an exciting start - I can see his personality already.

Thanks for "baring your soul"!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Silvermom. An artists I studied with years ago said painting is a series of ups and downs - the path wasn't straightforward. His clincher was " whatever you do don't stop painting. What I do when I've failed is - not always but often - I try again. This does worlk in some instances.