Saturday 6 July 2019

My Latest Paintings

Here are some of my latest paintings. One or two others I did have been binned. This is my work warts and all!


Red Squirrel 16" x 12" 'Where's that Nut?"


A Male Capercaillie - iconic Highland bird 16" x 12"



'Big cat" 16" x 12"


Isn't he cute- 16" x 12"




"Nice Horse" 16" x 12"

These were partly painted at home and finished off at my AVA Summer sessions where we do our own thing rather than a programme. I do the drawings in my tiny converted bedroom studio and then start the painting. This is usually the small areas of detail like the eyes. IF (in my opinion) I get them right I then proceed to complete the painting in stages. After completion I usually wait a day or two and look at it again when I often see things that need a little  more work. I try and avoid over finishing though. Charles Reid used to say 'you don't finish a painting you stop when you reach a point when you don't know what more to do". He also said be a little crude and also don't be precious it's only a painting".



This was our recent Avon Valley Artists exhibition as part of Saltford Festival. A decent standard, although the group is smaller than it used to be, with 85 paintings exhibited.




No comments: