Saturday 10 November 2018

Latest Paintings

Here are some of my latest efforts. I make the usual proviso I don't post them as good just what I am producing at the moment. My painting has always been on the inconsistent side, partly because I never want to get into a rut and just turn out the same stuff painting after painting.


Hare 16" x 12"

This was an exercise at my art group using a limited pallette. In this instance my choice was  three primaries but not the usual ones. The colours were: Hansa Yellow Medium (Daniel Smith PY97), Permanent Magenta (Maimeri PV19 Rose shade), Turquoise )Lukas PB16). I wouldn't normally do this but it does force you into areas you don't usually go. 



I started this one as I had a short time to spare after finishing the days subject at my art group. This is based on Charles Reid's teachings in his books/videos and workshops. The features are done first. HOWEVER on re-watching his last dvd - Figures in watercolour - I noticed he'd changed his approach ,or at least I thought he had, by doing a wash overall first. I also was looking for inspiration  and  to correct bad habits that seem to develop in my painting. I think the root cause is not painting enough. I read somewhere that to maintain your standard you needed to paint at least three times a week, even more if you wish to improve. Given my advanced age it's also a case of not wanting the rot to set in!



'Dead Horse' Flathead. c 1905 16" x 12"

This is the finished painting. I quite like it even though I'm sure I do things wrongly. I tried not to overwork this one - a perennial problem.



'King of the Jungle - 16" x 12"

I feel, while a reasonable representation I have overworked this one. Lots of colour Translucent Orange (Schmincke PO71). Translucent Brown (Schmincke PBr41), Quinacridone Gold (Daniel Smith PO49)  plus Cerulean Blue, Burnt Umber , Raw Sienna etc. I also did highlights with some acrylic white,  using a little Pebeo Gum to mask the whiskers. I almost always paint from photos these days and that does incline you towards bad habits. I have learned though not to copy every detail.



'Model' 16" x 12"

This was done on the same session as the above. The left eye facing is not quite right and I may alter it but it was mainly an exercise  in getting the skin tones right which  has  worked reasonably well. I also like the jewellery on the facing left hand side.



Khadi rough A4

A very quick exercise of a treecreeper done on about 20 minutes.



'Big Cat' 16" x 12"



'Ptarmigan in Winter" 16" x 12"

An exercise in simplicity, although not deliberately so.




'Treecreeper' Khadi rough A4

This was done previously to to the  treecreeper one above.




'Jay' 16" x 12"



'Autumn' 16" x 12'

I'm not sure what this bird is.
The papers I am using sat the moment are Waterford High White, Stonehenge Aqua and Khadi rough.





2 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

Enjoyed your latest paintings, in particular the birds. You have a way with our fine feathered friends. I also noticed something and that is you have forged a style of your own. I don't see much Charles Reid there anymore. I believe that's a happy thing for any creative person, that is,to break through into their own way.

By the way, how was working with Khadi paper?

Peter Ward said...

Hi Oscar. Nice to hear from you. I'm very conscious of the things Charles taught - like 'small areas of detail large areas of generality which I try to do. It doesn't always happen. A more recent influence is Gerrard Hendriks.
I think Khadi is okay. The paint blends well. I've been told however that it is a hard paper (I agree) and can damage sables so it is better to paint with synthetics with more and more excellent ones coming on to the market.