Sunday 14 December 2014

Tommy Lee Jones

Tommy Lee Jones is one of my favourite actors. My newspaper had an interview with him the other day accompanied by a full page photo so I decided to have a try at his portrait. The guide photo was black and white.


Tommy Lee Jones - 16" x 12" Arches Hot Press 140lb (300gsm)

You may notice this is hot press paper, in other words quite smooth, no real tooth at all. I was given a half used pad by Jan Weeks of Avon Valley Artists, who didn't like the paper at all. I've done one previous portrait, of an Amerindian, and it gave an interesting result quite different from those done on the normal `not' surface. I shall certainly do some more.

I made an initial drawing using rough methods of calculation regarding  proportions, spacing of the main features etc  with a Pentel 07 2B mechanical pencil. On reviewing it I used the rubber to erase and then made corrections as I saw it. The day following I made further corrections. 

As usual I started with the eyes, then the nose and finally the mouth. I then painted the rest using the features as the yardstick. After the paint was dry I put in the shadow areas. This took a number of attempts before I was (reasonably) satisfied. I say reasonably because it is easy to keep trying and risk disaster. I can see areas where it could be better but overworking is worse, in my opinion, than underworking. I didn't finish but reached a point where - faults and all - I decided I better stop.

Colours used were Cadmium Red Light, Raw Sienna and Cerulean or Cobalt Blue for the skin colours. The Cobalt Blue provided the darker mix. Brushes were the Isabey Kolinsky sables sizes 4,6 and 8. I also used the Isabey retractable size 6 mainly around the eyes.

I'm fairly pleased with it although he has the sort of face where getting a reasonable resemblance is not too difficult. I know it is far from perfect but then what is.

4 comments:

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Excellent portrait Peter. Good hard and soft edges and great colour. You should be pleased with this.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray.

HanaB said...

Yes! You have captured that sense and the character is unmistakable. Terrific!

Peter Ward said...

Thanks HanaB. Appreciate your comments.