Saturday 22 September 2012

Harvey & Mackenzie

I recently achieved, after several tries, a reasonable painting of my grandaughter Evie - well I like it and so does she! Unfortunately (actually I LOVE IT) I have Gerard Hendriks study which is a tough comparison. I also have two grandsons and want to paint decent portraits of them. Earlier efforts weren't too bad although silence from the parents makes me think they weren't impressed. These are the latest and I stress I am not trying for an exact likeness, although I do want them to be recognizable!


Harvey 8, but we often say 8 going on 18! This was the guide photo I used. I have others and will be making other studies but little steps....


 Harvey. 16" x 12" Fabriano Artistico 140lb (300gm) Extra White Not

My procedure remained as normal. First I made an as accurate drawing as possible using a 2B pencil. Then I commenced the painting with the eyes first followed by the nose and mouth. Skin colours were Cadmium Red Pale, Cadmium Yellow Light and Cerulean Blue, the Cerulean being added for the darker areas. The eyes are Cobalt Blue with Ivory Black for the pupils. The hair is mainly Raw Sienna and Raw Umber with a little darker colour made from diluted Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna. The blue of of the tee shirt is Cobalt Teal Blue (Daniel Smith PG50). The eyes are far too blue but I can alter them. Next came Mac, although they were painted several days apart.



Mackenzie Aged 6


Mackenzie. 16" x 12" Centenaire 140lb (300gm) Not

The procedure here was the same as for Harvey and the colours are identical apart from the blue of his top which is Cerulean. For both paintings I used mainly the Da VInci Artissimo 44 No 2 Kolinsky, and the Isabey  6228 and 6201 Kolinsky sables, sizes 4, 6 and 8. I am reasonably pleased with both although Harvey's could be better. I probably will start from scratch with another try. I think Macs hits the spot more.They are on an improving curve and more studies will follow until I get a really good result - will I ever I ask myself? I showed both to the boys and got a muffled `good', they then carried on with their computer games! 





8 comments:

Linda Roth said...

These portraits are great Peter. You did do justice to your grandchildren, who are quite beautiful.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Linda. They are two good looking boys but I am still striving for the definitive portraits of them.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

Very good effort Peter. there are definite likenesses there, and the hair is really well done. If you make the eyes larger it often helps keep the face young.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. It's tough trying to make them look their age rather than much older. I agree the eyes are the key.

Yvonne Harry said...

Good attempts, Peter, you can certainly see the likeness. Do you think a little more fullness in the cheeks would make the portraits more child-like.They seem a little old for their years. Apart from that, they are great.

Peter Ward said...

This is the perennial problem I have Yvonne. How to make them look their actual age? I don't think Mac is too bad but Harvey looks older than 8 (apart from the hair). I'll have to try your suggestion.

Irena said...

I think you have captured them well but as has been said they look a little older in the paintings. I am not a portrait painter but I believe if you make their faces a bit fatter ( the cheeks) then they will look younger.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for commenting Irena. I will be trying out Yvonnes and your suggestion.