Tuesday 28 August 2012

Another Plein Air Session

Last week I managed to paint outside again. At the weekly `unofficial' AVA session all the other attendees decided not to risk it and remained in the hall. This new idea has worked quite well, as apart from the obstacle of inclement weather, the majority of members prefer to paint indoors.


Yvonne, on the extreme right, taking a break after her exhausting weeks exhibition at Wells, contemplating having to paint another 50 plus to replace those sold! She doesn't just paint, but frames them as well, also cutting her own mounts!. 


 From left to right Kath, Brenda, Helen and Jo


 Jan
There were ten of us in total and it was a sad occasion due to the death a few days earlier of Alan Coster, a popular and much respected member of the group. Alan will be sorely missed by me personally and other members.

Nevertheless  we painted and I set myself up in the car park next to my car. This is the scene I was contemplating 



The first issue was what to leave out? The wall on the left was one obvious thing and also the large tree and shed on the right. I reduced the scene to the tree in the middle with the cottages in the left distance, and also the fields behind that slope up to a prominent clump of trees at the top. There are also houses behind the tree which you can just glimpse through the branches and leaves.

Fabriano Artistico 20" x 14" Extra White Not 140lb (300gsm)

The actual scene has been greatly simplified. I started with a simple pencil drawing avoiding detail.  I know it is large for a plein air painting but I don't like painting small. Greens were Sap Green, Green-Gold and , Hookers. I added blue to both Sap Green and Hookers for the darker areas. Other colours were Burnt Sienna, Cobalt Blue, Raw Umber and  Raw Sienna. I may have used some Cerulean and Quinacridone Rust. Brushes were the Escoda retractables, mainly size 12. I use these occasions to experiment- at least that's my excuse..

Afterwards the paintings were displayed in our usual manner. The `official' Autumn indoor season starts in two weeks time with the first subject `Summer Holidays'.



That's it folks.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

It's good to see you getting the fresh air bug. Lots of interest in this one and interesting selection of colours. One small comment - my eye keeps heading for the warm roof in the background, it is a real contrast with the predominant cool tones of the foreground.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Mick. There are warm colours in the background of the tree and also in some branches, which mirror the cottage colours, on the right hand side but perhaps I didn't emphasize them enough.

Linda Roth said...

You did have to get rid of that wall. Your composition is charming Vic. And good for you for weathering the weather. Before we know it, plein air ops will be over--unless you're a polar bear:-)

I'm sorry about the passing of your colleague and friend.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Linda. Actually the weather wasn't too bad on that day. Alan will be sorely missed.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I work in Florida as a artist for Disney and I wanted to ask where you found your portable easel? I can't find this type in America.

Thanks so much,

Randy

artbrush9@yahoo.com

Peter Ward said...

Hi there Randy and welcome. If you go down to most popular posts and click on `easels and stools' you'll find the information on mine. I doubt this will help too much as you are in Florida. However go to the website www.sun-eden.com/. They have lots of equipment for plein air artists. Also the Wetcanvas internet forum and search for `easels' `plein air' etc and you will find a lot of information including photographs. You might have to dig around to find it but it is there.

www.happyfunbox.blogspot.com said...

Thanks so much Peter your a good man. Please visit my blog at www.happyfunbox.blogspot.com to see the types of work I do for Disney and art I produce in my off hours.

Best wishes,

Randy

Peter Ward said...

That's OK Randy. Will have a look at your blog. Good painting.