Monday 25 January 2010

A Tale of Two Paintings

While at Urchfont we painted on the village green. It was a nice bright day and Charles Reid started us off with a demonstration. Then we were left to our own devices and this is the result.



Gevevieve painting at Urchfont.
18" x 14" Fabriano Artistico 90lb Not

I was initially quite pleased with my effort and when it came to the critique the only real comment was it showed the light well. Critiques are usually fairly bland and it wasn't until I looked at it in retrospect that I realised it was badly overworked, both in the figure and the tree. I then, some considerable time later, months in fact, decided to have another try using photographs I took at the time.



Genevieve painting at Urchfont
18" x14" Fabriano Artistico 90lb Not

This was painted in my `studio' formerly a bedroom and I feel it is better all round, although the tree is still a little overworked. When I painted this version I took the opportunity to try out two of the Graham paints. Ultramarine Pink (PR259) was used in the coat the figure is wearing and Quinacridone Rust (PO48), together with two or three other colours, on the walls and roof of the buildings. Both paintings were done on Artistico 90lb Not, and neither paper was stretched, only taped to a board.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Peter the second one works much better because you have rendered a better range of values, the back of the coat in particular demonstrates this.